Healthy joints enable us to move, run, jump, twist and turn. Exercises that don’t overload the hips & knees but strengthen the muscles, improve balance and flexibility will promote joint health and longevity.
REMEMBER THE KEY TO A SUCCESSFUL EXERCISE PROGRAMME IS:
- Using the correct gear.
- You should not experience pain.
- Pick exercises and activities that you enjoy.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
SPORTS TO TRY:
- Cross trainingensures different activities each time you exercise. Examples include static cycling, rowing machines, water aerobics and roller blading.
- Flexibility exercisessuch as Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi maintain the full range of motion of the joints.
- Low-impact exercisesfor example walking, cycling and swimming.
- Weight trainingkeeps muscles strong and allows for good joint stability. (Ensure proper form and start with low loads and high repetitions).
If you are starting an exercise programme or are unsure of what type of exercise to do consult a trained professional to ensure an optimal joint health.
“We do not stop exercising because we grow old – we grow old because we stop exercising.” Kenneth Cooper
Tags: hips and knee exercises